My son, Ayaansh’s birthday was approaching and this birthday was extra special for us as it was his first birthday! It was hard to imagine that this little bundle of joy that just came home from the hospital will soon be turning 1. I wanted to do something real special that would create an everlasting memory for us. So apart from the other preparations, I decided to bake his 1st birthday cake myself.
So if you are planning your child’s next birthday and want something that has plenty of “wow factor” to it and to top it all is quick and easy to assemble, then this Kit-Kat chocolate cake is the answer. This is a unique cake as it is colourful, eye-catchy and has a kit-kat fence around it. It is quite a thing to impress the kids and adults alike.
You will just need any chocolate cake which can be either store bought or made from a ready mix, frost it with chocolate ganache, stick the kit-kat around the cake to make a chocolate fence and sprinkle a generous amount of gems or M&Ms on top of the cake. That’s how simple it is and your Kit-kat chocolate cake is ready to be served.
I decided to make the chocolate cake myself. So here are the ingredients that you will need for the cake.
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 4tbsp powdered sugar
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda or soda bicarbonate
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup water
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Less than ¾ cup melted butter
- 2tbsp hot water
- Semi sweet chocolate
- Heavy cream
- 1tsp butter
- A pinch of salt
- Approximately 10 packs of Kit-Kat or 40 individual bars of Kit-Kat
- Gems or M&Ms
- A nice ribbon
Procedure to make the chocolate cake:
- Preheat the oven to 150 degree centigrade.
- Grease with butter and line two baking tins with parchment paper. Dust them with some flour too
- In a large bowl, sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients except the hot water. Mix this mixture with an electrical whisk for 2-3 minutes. Make sure not to overbeat the mixture.
- Now add 2tbsp of hot water to the cake mixture and mix. This will help to make the cake soft.
- Divide the batter in two cake pans. You can use a single cake pan too and then cut the cake into two.
- Bake the cake at 150 degree centigrade for 25-30mins. Each oven is different, so make sure that when you insert a skewer in the middle of the cake, it should come out clean.
- Once the cake is baked, let it rest for 3-4 minutes and then de-mould it on a wire rack to allow it to cool down completely.
- In case you have used a single cake tin to bake the cake, now is the time to slice the cake into half using a long bread knife.
- Freeze the cakes for half hour as this makes it easier to frost.
Procedure to prepare the ganache:
- Heat the cream just below boiling point.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and let it sit for a few minutes
- After a few minutes, give it a good stir and the chocolate sauce is ready
- To give it a glossy finish, add the butter and to bring all the flavours to life, add a pinch of salt.
Time to decorate the cake:
- Add a dollop of the chocolate ganache on a cake board or a large round plate and place one of the chilled cakes on it. Slice the raised little dome of the cakes.
- Now coat the cake with the ganache starting from the top and then swirling it down around the cake. Place the other cake on top of it and coat both the cakes with the ganache now.
- Put the cake back in the refrigerator for half hour for the first layer of the frost to set.
- Post half an hour, frost the cake again. The second coat of frosting gives a perfect finish to the cake.
- Now break the kit kat bars into individual pieces and line the outer circle of the cake with it.
- Fill the top with gems or M&Ms, and use a colourful ribbon to tie around the cake for a beautiful finish. The ribbon not only adds to the beauty but also provides additional support to the cake.